We’re looking for a WordPress developer to join our team in Bristol.
We’re delighted to announce Appeal is looking for a new PHP and WordPress developer to support our continued growth and plans moving forward. If you, or someone you know is looking for a new challenge and wants to be part of a fast growing Bristol business, we would love to hear from you.
We are an award winning digital strategy and development agency based in Bristol. Since we started in 2017, we have built up a strong track record in delivering websites that increase credibility, visibility and conversion for business owners across the Bristol, the UK and now in the US.
Where you come in
As a fast growing company, our team is small but effective. We expect anyone joining the team to be hard working, passionate and involved in their craft. Your reward for this, aside from standard salary and benefits will be the chance to become a part of a relatively new, growing team, with no stale processes or aversion to change and new ideas. You will be instrumental in building on our culture and will be involved in a number of core decisions focusing on growing the company making your working life as rewarding as possible!
Reporting to; Technical Director, Managing Director
You will be:
- Systems and process orientated, but always flexible and looking to improve.
- Always eager to help and offer your expertise.
- Someone with high business intelligence, who can understand the reasons behind decisions from more than just “the developers perspective”.
- Platform agnostic, with an open minded approach to solving problems.
- Driven by quality and attention to detail.
- Someone who is able to deliver a modern, responsive and interactive WordPress site from start to finish.
- Deliver website and web app code that is quality, maintainable and readable.
- Producing accurate estimates for work and working with the PM & Sales teams to help provide information for proposals.
- Keeping up to date with new and developing technologies and tools.
- Introducing and implementing, mature and carefully chosen methodologies, tools and platforms into the business with the goal of increasing output and reducing waste.
- Reviewing and monitoring the other developers on the team to ensure our consistent high standards are met.
- Working with the Technical Director to create strategise around changes and new tech in the WordPress ecosystem.
Technical skills required:
- Expert knowledge of WordPress.
- Expert knowledge of PHP.
- Experience setting up local development environments, as well as using Vagrant or Docker to create virtualised development environments.
- A high awareness of technical SEO.
- High level of experience with consuming APIs (Mainly REST, some SOAP, GraphQL) and familiarity with creating/managing APIs.
- Expert competency with VCS, specifically Git.
- Experience securing WordPress installations.
- Experience configuring complex production server configurations.
- High experience with configuring web servers (NGINX or Apache)
- Experience with ECommerce (WooCommerce, Shopify, Magento) development and maintenance.
- High experience with SQL and a familiarity with other database types, such as NoSQL.
- Expert at using Linux based systems and configuring Linux servers for production servers.
- Expert competency with HTML, CSS and SCSS is required.
- Experience using web application frameworks (for ex. Laravel, ASP.NET, Rails, Django)
- Experience creating and running an SPA or PWA in a production environment.
- Familiarity with cloud and Paas platforms such as AWS, Google Cloud or Azure.
- Familiarity with continuous deployment and continuous integration methods and platforms is desirable.
Benefits and opportunities
- Competitive salary
- Company workplace pension
- Strong opportunities for career progression
- 32 days holiday per year (including Bank Holidays)
- Newly renovated central Bristol location
- Free gym membership
- Secure bike store and onsite showers
- Free fruit and Clifton Coffee on tap!
To apply, you must be within a reasonable commuting distance of our office in Clifton, Bristol. Remote working applications will not be considered or reviewed.
Please send your CV and any additional information to firstname.lastname@example.org